Saturday, December 27, 2008

Malawi Update

I have asked my dad to post this update on my blog. After a nice Christmas with friends, Tim and I were on the way to Lilongwe the Saturday afternoon when the car we were travelling in blew a tire, spun around and flipped over. We were pulled out of the windows upside down, and taken to Mzuzu Central Hospital, Rumphi District.

We are very lucky to be alive, as the car was being driven too fast when the tire blew. I have a broken clavical, glass cuts, chipped teeth, cuts on my eye and head, and some trouble breathing. Tim has a concussion, and I don't know what else.

I feel very safe here, it is a good hospital. My mom and dad have been up all night (8 hours time difference) working with the Peace Corps and American Embassy, and an embassy doctor has just arrived with three cars to check us out. If we are stable, we will stay in Mzuzu tonight, and then be driven to Lilongwe tomorrow (Sunday). It is very difficult to drive at night here, and even in the day time it is about a three hour drive.

One disappointment - the villagers stripped everything from the car almost before we were gotten out, and took everything. The traffic officer told me that he had my passport, but at this point, I don't have a cell phone. If you want to keep in touch, you might want to call my parents at (615) 373-2822.

I will keep you posted as I know more about our situation. Please keep us in your thoughts.

No comments: