Monday, December 15, 2008

E-Mail from Jenn 12-7-08

Hey there,I'm sorry; we had a storm here, and I'm not sure whether it was the storm or a lack of units on my phone which wouldn't let my call gothrough.

Things are pretty hectic here with swearing in tomorrow, and I'mleaving for my site first on Wednesday morning, so it's good, scary, sad, etc. right now. I have sessions all day today and swearing in / no time to buy my buckets for my house tomorrow. I would love to talk to you guys and if you want to chat briefly tonight (like after 5 my time), that would be fine, but when I'll really want phone calls is probably more like Thursday through the weekend when I'll be all alone for the first time here. (Well, alone and surrounded, I'm sure by neighbors,etc.)

My address (but don't use this one yet) I think is Box 34,Chitimba, but I don't know how to write it on a package, and I'm not sure whether I also need to get my own box in addition. Really, I'llknow a lot more once I get to site, as I didn't address the address issue while I was at site visit. I'm very near the post office andwill drop by as soon as I can on Thursday to figure it out.

Some things I've thought of that I'd like to have (but don't need; just for anyone who wants to send something): (I have a list, but I don't have it with me; this is off the top of my head; I can be more specific later.) Spiral notebooks (which excite me to no end at this point; I won't even write in the one I have here because I'm saving it up), Pens (one that fell in the box you sent me last time has really saved me for the past month).

Food! Easy to eat, no-heat, spicy, tasty, delicious, nutritious (you know how I love Whole Foods) food! (I can get peanut butter here.)Things like olive oil, spices, granola bars, junk food, candy, tea, etc. are not available here.Aveno face wipes (remember the green and white canister I brought here? Rough on one side, smooth on the other--great for scrubbing the grime out of my skin.) They require water, but it's so worth it; it's one of the only things that can make me still feel like a girl sometimes--I've been rationing them out. anything that smells good--lotions are also nice for the same reason as above--like the body butter in my room from Micki would be great.

I'd love to have my black and white going out shirt just b/c I like it (even if I only get to wear it like once in Lilongwe sometime). Ziplock bags, the hair clips (I think they're called something like alligator clips with the interlocking prongs--I've lost all of mine, and I really like them). Keep the books coming--they're fantastic. Clothing: Keep it cool, keep the skirts long and hippie-ish (thebrown tie-dye is my favorite), t-shirts (I love the ones fromFranklin), tank tops with wide straps (no spaghetti straps or even thin straps, whole top of the shoulder coverage is best), short-sleeved collared shirts for work, etc.

TOILET PAPER!!!! nice soap is nice but not as important. Anything ziplock or tupperware is brilliant. Pictures for my walls would be excellent. Ugh, I know I'm forgetting important things, but I just can't remember right now; it's early.

I guess the most important thing is to note that none of these are necessities and that, for the most part, I can get everything I need here in country. The luxuries from home are things like real shampoo and easy food which are way outside my budget, but there isn't anything I need, so don't worry on that front.I love you lots and really have to go!

Talk to you soon!

Jenn

No comments: