Friday, September 26, 2008

Leaving

In the twenty or so moves I've made over the past five years, I've learned two things: 1)The more you open yourself up to people and places, the harder it is to leave them. 2) Leaving is never easy. I had hoped to take you guys from skinny-dipping in Vermont to riding on the back of a stranger's bicycle in Berlin, from Shankill Road in Belfast to the Christmas Market in Edinburgh. I wanted to show you Vermont in January and my cross-country road trip to L.A. with my mom. I have photos for you of my first garden, my family's trip out on Lake Mead, my Peace Corps invitation, and my adorable dog. In this last few hours I have here, though, I won't attempt such feats. I find myself, instead, wanting only to say 'thank you' to all of you--a gratitude which I am ill-equipped to express.
From gifts to dinners to parties to knot-tying lessons to help with shopping and packing to encouragement, letters, and phone calls...you all have made this somewhat impossible dream possible. This move was one in which I had time to truly open myself up to the people and places around me, and although it has made the goodbyes harder, I have learned that in doing so, I have found in all of you great strength and support as I step out into the unknown. My gratitude and love run more deeply than I can tell you. I look forward to the conversations I will have with each of you over the next two years. Much love, and, well, peace.

P.S. Come visit!

1 comment:

georgiagirl said...

When you open yourself up to others, your life becomes richer, fuller, more beautiful even in the details. Our love follows you on this wonderful adventure. Our hearts wait impatiently for your return. We are always here to listen to your stories, share your thoughts and dream with you your dreams.